Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Favorite things

I love making lists, and though they're usually punch lists, I discovered another love at a creativity workshop this spring. Facilitated by Julia Cameron, she had us create lists of things we love, amongst other prompts. This is the perfect blend of appreciation and the joy of organization. This morning, soaking up the erratic bursts of sunshine through an overcast sky, I made a list to celebrate my favorite things and activities as a child. What did you love to eat, play, do as a seven year old, at thirteen or seventeen?

  • the colors blue and silver
  • roast beef slathered in made from scratch gravy with roasted potatoes, carrots and onions
  • watching the farm report alone at 5:30 a.m. and then cartoons with my siblings on a Saturday morning: Thunder Cats, Smurfs, Transformers and GI Joe
  • reading anything I could get my hands on at the library or through the bookmobile
  • spending my summer vacation learning how to do front and back flips off the high dive at the Hide-Away-Hills pool with friends
  • climbing as high into the canopy of trees as I dared
  • making forts and using them to play cowboys and indians - and the cowboys were always the bad guys
  • riding my ten speed on the gravel roads of our neighborhood
  • throwing mud (and rock) balls across a foundation that got dug out and never built into, making the pit a perfect battle ground
  • experimenting with food to come up with new recipes, like adding Tang to anything

No comments:

Post a Comment