Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Food love

I love food. I adore food. I eat food with enthusiasm. I am so grateful I get to eat food.
I know it's a blessing to be able to eat every day, and not only that, to eat well. For me, it is how I generally spend most of my paycheck. Sure, I have numerous bills that clamor for my attention, but the most important expenditure is what fuels my body, nourishes each cell and tantalizes and satisfies my taste buds.

I think about food between meals, about recipes I want to try or tweak, the process to create a garden, and the state of our food production in the United States and across the world. Food is a necessity, and it is also connects us to family, region, and a tumultuous history that has shaped the world. In fact, it is so complex a subject that it has been written about many times over, but my goal here is to share food that I love in the form a recipe you can try and modify or not as you choose.

The decision to share recipes on my blog may go against the grain of general blog wisdom to stick close to the original subject, but since I had no boundaries made at the outset, anything goes. I believe in do-it-yourself (DIY) and the power to make smart choices about diet, even if the ingredients come from the grocery store shelf. Just as important, action and thinking that enhance and expand creativity are necessary and to be celebrated. Imagine, then, dinner as art, even when it's macaroni & cheese and a salad on the table.

DIY

The average American eats an excess of sugar, fat, carbohydrates, salt, processed foods and additives. I'd love to know how many people look at the labels on the packages they put into their shopping cart or basket. I'd guess it's not a large portion of the population. The best way to know what's in your food is to do a little research right there in the cereal aisle, determine if you want whole grains or Sugar Crack Crunch. Even simpler is to choose ingredients you can find in the produce section, or packaging free in the bulk bins.

Chocolate power balls

I got this recipe from a friend years ago when we lived on an organic farm in California. She prepared these little chocolate balls in bulk and when chilled they were good for days, though they never lasted long around our hardworking crew. I made these a half dozen times over the winter, my motivation another friend who had given up sugar. I love to feed my friends and know firsthand what misery there can be when you avoid sugar in a land where even your potato chips can contain sugar. I enjoyed the challenge - and the reward - of perfecting the process.

I think of these as energy nuggets, and they fulfill the dark chocolate rda. Please alter the recipe and discover your own favorite combination of fruit, nuts, seeds and spice. Any additional sweetener is optional.

Ingredients:
1 c walnuts1 c almonds
1 c dried fruit (try goji berries, currants, sultanas, figs, dates, mangos & unsweetened cherries or blueberries)1 tbsp water or orange juice
½ c bittersweet chocolate chips, melted or
"sugar free:" 6 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tbsp coconut oil, 3 tbsp honey or agave (to taste)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp vanilla1/4 tsp cardamom½ tsp cinnamon

1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sesame seeds

optional:
dry, unsweetened coconut flakes
cocoa powder
  1. Grind the nuts in a food processor or blender. Though I aim for finely ground, I'm not concerned about a few random chunks, but avoid bigger than dry lentil size.
  2. Pulverize the fruit in a food processor or blender. For very dry fruits, such as goji berries and mangos, I recommend using the water or orange juice to hydrate them prior to tossing them into your mix.
  3. Add the coconut oil, vanilla and spices to the melted chocolate chips. Or, try my adaptation, the "sugar free" option. Mix the cocoa powder with the coconut oil, including the additional 2 tbsp, you will find it easiest to do with the coconut oil at room temperature. Add the vanilla and spices.
  4. Blend the nuts, fruits, chocolate mixture, seeds and add coconut flakes to your taste.
  5. Cool the mixture in the fridge until it sets up - you want a moldable, not gloppy mixture.
  6. Form into balls, I prefer between a quarter and half dollar in diameter.
  7. I love a truffle finish: place flaked coconut and cocoa powder on a plate and roll the ball in the mix until evenly coated. Chill and keep refrigerated until you're ready to eat. Be careful: these are messy and addictive, but also satisfying, so a little goes a longish way. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment